Global Korea Scholarship
GKS (Global Korea Scholarship) for International Students
The Korean Ministry of Education provides international students who want to pursue their studies in Korea with a scholarship opportunity to promote international exchanges in education and mutual friendship between countries. GKS students have been actively making contributions throughout the world in numerous fields.
Both an applicant and his/her parents must be citizens of their country of origin. (Applicants should not hold Korean citizenship.)
- - Applicants should have adequate health, both mentally and physically, to stay in a foreign country for a long time.
- - Should be under 40 years of age at the date of entrance.
- - Possess a grade point average (G.P.A.) above 80% from the last educational institution attended.
- - Hold a Bachelor’s degree by the date of arrival.
* Applicants who have previously achieved in any undergraduate program, master’s program or doctoral program in Korea cannot apply for this program. However, a former or current GKS scholar who holds the overall grade of 90% or above can reapply to this program.
* J.D applicants are not eligible for GKS as GKS provides students in master’s program with scholarships for two years. Only M.A. applicants can apply for GKS. Likewise, GKS students who will be enrolled in the M.A. program cannot transfer to J.D. program during the scholarship period.
Details of the Scholarship
- - Scholarship Period
Master’s Degree: Korean Language Course (up to one year) + two year Degree Course
- - Korea Language Training Course
GKS students are required to take Korean language training courses for one year at a language institution in Korea. (Those who have attained a Korean language fluency score higher than level five in TOPIK are exempt from this requirement.)
- - Scholarship Benefit: Round Trip Airfare, Monthly Allowance, Research Allowance, Settlement Allowance, Language Training Fee, Tuition, Dissertation Printing Costs, Medical Insurance, etc.
- - Application Process: GKS candidates submit applications to Handong International Law School (HILS) → HILS recommends adequate candidates to NIIED (National Institute for International Education). (NIIED is an operating agency of the Korean Ministry of Education which runs Global Korea Scholarship program.)